Pages

Friday, July 24, 2009

Five Fantastic Parenting Books

The question I like least starts with the words "What's your favorite...?" I find it nearly impossible to pick one single favorite of most things. (Ice cream might just be the exception - Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia is my favorite, hands-down. And they're not paying me to say that, either. It just is! There are many close seconds, though!)

Really - with so many great ideas out there, how do you pick just one of anything to love?

I reserve the right to have several favorites, and to add to them as I discover great new things. So, I'm going to start sharing a few, 5 at a time. I'll call them my "Five Favorites."

Here are my 5 favorite parenting books (in no particular order)

I was inspired to look into Raising Baby Green: The Earth-Friendly Guide to Pregnancy, Childbirth, and Baby Care after reading Stephanie's great review. It's as good as she says it is! The copy I'm reading is checked out of the public library (how green is that?) but I'm sure I'm going to need to get my own copy! I love Dr. Greene's practical suggestions for living a more natural, healthy lifestyle before and after baby' arrival.

How to Get Your Child to Love Reading: For Ravenous and Reluctant Readers Alike is my favorite book to hand to parents of struggling or strong readers. (I've suggested this title to many parents, but can't bring myself to lend out my own autographed copy. Get your own!) Esme Raji Codell is an inspiring teacher and suggests wonderful books and natural activities to share to make reading a part of every child's life. You can find additional amazing children's literature suggestions at the PlanetEsme Book-a-day blog.

There is significant research that we can help children connect with an author's message by giving them the tools to explain the thinking good readers do internally before, during, and after reading. 7 Keys to Comprehension: How to Help Your Kids Read It and Get It!
is a wonderful book for parents that explains the strategies strong readers use as they read for understanding. It is filled with ways to support your own reader on their reading journey.

I love the positive discipline strategies presented in the Love & Logic series, and had used Teaching with Love & Logic in my classroom before I ever needed Parenting With Love And Logic (Updated and Expanded Edition). The strategies they suggest eliminate power struggles, and help children make appropriate choices and learn to solve their own problems (with parental guidance and support, of course!)

Annabel Karmel's First Meals (New Expanded Edition) is a great resource for helping your youngest eaters enjoy healthy and exciting mealtimes. There are recipes for first purees and foods for toddlers and preschoolers, and lots of tips for creating a happier and healthier mealtime. I've had an older edition of this book for years, so I really liked The Shopping Mama's recent interview with Annabel Karmel I had one of my questions answered, and am really excited to try preparing more baby food at home just as soon as Smallest is ready!

All of the books (and ice cream) mentioned in this post were purchased (or borrowed from the library in one case) by me. The ideas presented in this blog are my own opinions. Have you read any other great titles for parents? I'd love to hear what you think!

1 comment:

  1. "Raising Baby Green" IS good, isn't it? It's definitely one of my "favorites."

    I'm actually right in the middle of "Parenting With Love & Logic" and I'm really enjoying it.

    I also like the "no-cry" books by Elizabeth Pantley.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?